View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
delslo -

(Christ, I was trying to answer the question from my low-skillzz standpoint, but I wonder if I am alluding to a similar thing when I conjecture that the "BSFC topo map" is moving)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delslo View Post

In the other thread you say it exactly right - hotter air intake temps are reducing output.

So using that, the whole reason I can't wrap my head around an endorsement for an HAI is simple: if you're limiting output, yet it still requires x amount of tq to achieve the speed/distance you need, you need to increase throttle/revs to do the same amount of work. This is the same as saying you're putting the engine under more load. More load = more fuel consumption.

Also, the burn efficiencies of heated fuel vapors on a fully warmed motor I would have to imagine are completely negated by the aforementioned reduction in dynamic compression ratio.

Please, keep going. I need to make sense of this. I love making intakes
Ok, I'll take a different stab, but please be kind, I'm not a car guy (I mostly vomit my internet-learned info-worms like a mommy bird).

One thing we like to complain about in Ecomodder is that the engines are "too powerful" for our needs. We are deliberately driving in lower load conditions. Many of us would like to have cars with lower HP.

Mayyyyyybee, the HAI causes the engine to operate in a different state of BSFC. That is to say, we are at lower HP, but because our engines and ECU/PCMs are operating "outside the norm", we can get good MPG. This may be why some cars like HAI and some don't. It's like finding an exploit in the engine and/or ECU/PCM.

Does that make sense?

Question: When BSFC charts are made, is IAT always uniform? I would expect yes, and I would expect some kind of "standard" intake temp. Maybe atmospheric conditions would be taken into account during the test in order to account for humidity. Do BSFC charts "move" as the humidity changes?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society