View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
delslo
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
For higher load - engines tend to operate more efficiently under higher load. I remember that specifically, but I don't remember the theory of engine operation which supports it.
I saw this in one of the other threads, and there's a rather large caveat overlooked IMO. Sure, higher loads lend themselves to greater efficiency and lower BSFC due to the improvements in pumping loss. However, this does not necessarily lend itself to lower fuel consumption.

If you look at any 3d fuel map, there is always more area under the curve, and therefore more fuel, whenever throttle/airflow and rpm's increase (ie load). Honda's lean burn capitalizes off greater load/throttle openings because the ECU is simultaneously running higher than stoichymetric air:fuel ratio's, permissible by their head design. This is generally not the case for other auto's.

If load was conducive to FE, then there wouldn't be so much emphasis on DWL techniques and reducing weight (load).

So again, reduction in output via HAI requires more load to compensate which requires more fuel. IMO it's really dependent on the OEM fuel parameters, application and other variables to determine if the reduction in pumping loss is providing net FE +/-.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't forget to put an ice-pack in the freezer for your wrist, prior