View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

The Geo has a very small engine so its got less draw. Its also an eco car from the start(or ecobox if you prefer).

A car more mainstream(read wasted design parameters) will use more juice for every one of these functions. The engine draws are likely 2x as much for most cars(4-6 cylinders obviously being about 1.75 for the 4s and 2.2ish for the 6s).

The convenient when available answer is sunlight. Downside is panels are expensive. Its about 5-600 bucks for a panel that can outrun the alt. Also if its interior the glass dampens the draw of a panel and if its outside its likely damaging the airflow and its very likely to get stolen(solar panels for alot of applications are designed to break before the mounts, our local police lose 1-2 panels a year(50,000 population)).

I'm aiming for this idea atm because I am looking at going solar for my house(instead of inverters I'm in the process of buying DC motors for virtually everything) and the panels are the dimensions of my trunk lid. I'm hoping to just be able to lift and drop it into the trunk when I get out and simply have the alt belt on a clutch(no removal no unnecessary belts or pulleys spinning and access to the alt if it gets dark or cloudy).