View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 04:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Not to rain on the parade, but the CAFE Foundation used to run some efficiency competition at the Oshkosh (now AirVenture) Airshow between 1981-1990. I'm pretty sure they got up over 30mpg. Then again, almost all of the 2007 PAV competitors made it over 20mpg.
You're right about the CAFE races, but I haven't been able to find a lot of information on them. From what I remember, Burt Rutan's specially design 5 seat, turbocharged Catbird was the overall leader for some time until a Varieze (another Rutan design) builder eventually took the all time lead.

I think "hypermiling" a plane really comes down to its design. A two place Van's RV can make 35-38mpg throttled back, while the single-place (and rather spartan) Quickie Q-1 can make 100mpg with its 2cyl generator engine. The Rutan Voyager probably averaged better than all during its around the world flight. Really, the best mileage comes without having an engine at all.

The Ariene Swiftlite is an advanced rigid ultralight glider that has traveled 483mi under Manfred Ruhmer's piloting. Sure advanced sailplanes can easily beat that distance, but they require an aerotow. A Swiftlite can be hucked off a hillside .

Awesome stuff: Ruhmer Swiftlite Competition Flight
(Sie sprechen Deutsch, Recht?)

- LostCause