View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
ebacherville
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
I have a old Benz 300d turbo diesel that i ran veggie in , cant drive it any longer but the engine and drive train are good, I'm always keeping a eye out for a good donor vehicle to drop it in.. I always though a old mid sized truck shell would be perfect, like the Jeep trucks, they had inline 6's in them so there plenty of room for the inline 300 d motor etc.. the benz turbo diesel engines are bullet proof and take veggie oil great.. could be a great option if you want to go vegan and get rid of the dino.

Otherwise i know they drop the Cummins 4 cylinders in chevy small block v8 trucks easily.. and I know in a S10 you can drop in a v8 small block.. in a suburban the 4 cylinder cummins' get 27 mpg with them.. in a smaller truck I bet you'd see low 30's easily, biggest hurtle with diesel is the motors usually arn't cheap as gas motors.

Really it all depends on what you want to do , if you need to haul alot youll need alot of extra power on tap if you need it.. But if not you could get a smaller motor that puts out less HP and that would hopefully give better milage.. JUst like any economy car there not rockets, and wont tow 6,000 pounds, but that why they get better MPG's