View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
wjohnson30
EcoModding Lurker

White Lightning - '01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 extra cab
90 day: 26.12 mpg (US)
Grounding Battery for better mileage?

This query was generated in a round-about way, and forgive my wordiness:

I have installed heavy gauge wiring down the length of the frame of my Toyota Tacoma from the positive terminal on the battery. The objective is to supply power to a 8000 pound winch that is mounted on a receiver hitch attachment (thus making the winch removable; why carry 100lbs you need so infrequently?). In order to complete the circuit, the negative terminal from the winch is grounded to the frame in the rear of the truck, and this required me to add an additional ground wire from the battery to the engine, engine to frame....presto, a circuit that could handle the amperage load. (For the record; Project complete, all functions normally).

No conclusive data yet, as this was 4 days ago, but the truck seems to run smoother now....not that it didnt before, but I am very attentive to its behavior, and have noticed a difference.

This prompted me to imagine the possibility of an "inefficient" electrical system causing negligible resistance which would, theoretically, require the alternator to fight against the insignificant resistance.

Searching for a reputable forum with a discussion of the theory yielded nothing, but sure enough there is a site promoting a product that claims a better ground will increase fuel efficiency:

Stabilize voltage for increase fuel efficiency.

So, the question, with nothing scientific to offer at this point supporting or discounting the theory, I have to ask is: what is the possibility of an improved ground actually affecting fuel economy, and to what extent?