View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
abcdpeterson
EcoModding Lurker

Vibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe
90 day: 47.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Here's a link to a photo out of Hucho's book.It's from Mair's research on boattails.You'll notice that the body undergoes a very gentle narrowing,with very little "angle" initially,growing steeper in inclination as it proceeds to the rear,and scaling from this coordinate grid,you'll be able to figure where the maximum 22-degree incline begins,and continues.Also,if you'll print this image,blow up the image scale,then add in additional grid lines,you can add finer resolution to the Cd values/Length.If you curve your cars body more abruptly than what bis shown,you'll more than likely experience separation.-------------------------------------------------------------- Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com - aerohead's Album: Book illustrations - Picture
If I understand correctly that would make sense. a gentle / rounded transition before starting the 22 degree incline is needed. Correct?

I can see in the photo the transitional portion is, and then the 22 degree incline portion.

I am not sure what is being shown with the graph at the bottom.