View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Question Super efficient fridge - need math advice

So I am seriously considering doing a conversion like this one :
DIY, Super-Efficient Fridge Uses .1 kWH a Day | EcoRenovator.org

Rather than spend over a thousand dollars on the freezer used in the article, I plan to use one of these :

Holiday at Lowe's: 5.0 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer (Color: White)

or this one :
Holiday at Lowe's: 7.0 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer (Color: White)

Neither are Energy Star rated .

The 5 cubic foot model uses 240 kWh per year, and the 7 cu.ft. model uses 277 kWh per year.
For comparison, the VestFrost used in the article was rated at around 197 kWh and has just over 8 cu.ft. of space.

Dividing the kWh used by the square footage of the freezer seems to indicate that the larger that a freezer is, the more efficient.
Is this true ?
Example : The 5 cu.ft model uses 48 kWh per year for each square footage of space used, the 7 cu.ft. model uses 39.57 , and the VestFrost around 24 kWh per sq.ft. ( unmodified )

However, I notice that when I divide the kWh used by the sq.footage of some Energy Star upright refigerators, the math seems to indicate that even a massive 25.5 cu.ft. model uses around 19 kWh per sq.ft. of space in the fridge. This seems to contradict things, since even Energy Star upright refrigerators are not going to be as efficient as an Energy Star chest freezer.
So is kWh used per square footage of space not really a good indicator of a frides efficiency ? Did I just do the math wrong ?