View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Frenzy View Post
HEre is my question. I've located a company that sells replacement PRius battery packs (LiFEPO4) for $900/each. They are rated at 48v/10aH. He states that 5 of these are needed to replace the entire prius battery pack. That would mean that the Prius battery is only rated at 50aH but higher voltage.
Err, not really. 5 of those packs are going to give you 240V/10ah OR 48V/50ah, depending on how you wire it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Frenzy View Post
I have since found several other types of batteries of varying aH ratings and voltages. I do not know what to buy.

I've found 8v@ 3.2aH batteries VERY cheap and they only weigh 3lbs. I could put 36+ of these in my vehicle and save a TON of space and weight. My voltage would be in line but I'd only have 110aH or so. That's still double the Prius' so is that good? Do I need less Volts and more amps or more amps and less volts?
Those would be almost useless for anything larger than a go-kart. You would have less than 1KWh of usable energy. That, if I recall is about half the capacity of the Prius pack. You would actually only have 288V/3.2ah if you wired the batteries in series.

Honestly, I would not get anything in that poll for an electric car.

Remember this simple rule of thumb: If you are wiring cells in series, multiply voltage, and if wiring in parallel, multiply amp-hours.