Thread: Eco-Shaving?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #32 (permalink)
ecomax
EcoModding Lurker

After 2 decades of shaving, I've found that the best compromise for being green and getting a nice shave is:

1. Shave using 5 drops of shavesecret (you can buy this at your local Xmart store, or online at www.ShaveSecret.com)

2. Shave using your favorite razor

** NOW, HERE COMES THE CRITICAL PART!

3. When you're done having, rinse the blade well, and keep it immersed in alcohol when you put it away for the next day's shave.

--> It's not the cutting of hairs which makes the blades become dull, it's the oxidation/corrosion due to being exposed to air !

I've reused the same "disposable" Bic Twin razor for 6 months straight an it's still 95% as sharp as new. I always get a nice clean, smooth shave even after using it for MONTHS!

The Shave Secret stuff is awesome. Before this, I had experimented with various natural creams from Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc. They were nice.
But man this stuff really cuts down on waste. I use 5 drops, and no aftershave at all, because it leaves a nice conditioning (thin) film afterwards, even after rinsing.

If anyone is interested, I can share more info on my process and also how I made my own storage thing for the razor to stay immersed in alcohol without evaporation occurring.

HTH