View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVDRVR
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
What kind of speeds (hi/lo) were you looking at w/ the 50mph average?
low end 0 high end 65 mph
most of the freeway cruise was at 50 mph and that was about 18 miles each way with the rest mixed city.

Regen was disengaged most of the time as it is less efficient than coasting but I was able to move very efficiently through the lights on the first leg and not so efficiently on the return leg. Also kept a higher speed on the return and accelerated to that 65 mph number once to keep from being a speed bump for a fast moving truck.

The east bound ( first leg) of the trip is also a much smoother pavement than the return leg.

CarloSW2 thanks for the math confirmation.

Alignment was $80 but it seems to be a real positive at higher speeds. In my case the car was driving well but as in skiing you can snow plow straight down a hill just fine. It was off considerably. Had the shop set everything as close as possible to zero on all four wheels. Tire pressure is Solectria recommended 44 psi. Tires are 13 inch, inexpensive and not LRR.

I may have to put my full belly pan back on if Ben is going to whack me 15% for regen Spend little time above 45 and couldn't get a real strong positive from it so I left it off when it didn't preform so well in the rain.

Ben- the pack is quite new and still being babied in break in phase. So the voltage is very strong. Both legs were started at 100% SOC. These gel batteries have a 1 hour rate of 70 AHs. I wasn't trying to see how efficiently I could drive nor was I blatantly wasting watts. Mild Hypermiling is pretty much a norm after 4 years with the EV. Just surprised at the positive results of the alignment seemed to have made.

The Solectria as I mentioned can return these numbers all the time at lower speeds and as Ben mentioned when regen is used to advantage in stop and go it helps.

Interesting tidbit is that on the first leg the car had two sheets of 5/8th plywood in the trunk (had the back seat down) so it probably weighted about 60 pounds more than the return. Never did get back that much needed, getting out of the big nasty looking trucks way, power application.