View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Yeah, when I first got wind of the program I visited the local dealerships to see if there was anything good for $4500 off. I went away not very impressed. Guess I'll stick with clunkers.
Fact is, I've never paid much more than $500 to buy a car/truck and put it on the road.

Saddest part about that is, I've usually either completely trashed them, and got half of my money back at the junkyard, or sold them for more than I paid for them.

Imagine the number of $100 and $200 vehicles I've passed up over the years, and double the price of every one... that's my "potential income" on an ideal lifetime scenario. LOL

Until people started really concerning themselves with fuel economy, there were very few times that I'd have to bid against someone else to get the car that I wanted. Those times, I'd usually let it go, because there would always be another one, probably in better condition than what the dealer has, and the owner is only selling the car to pay for gas or insurance on his/her SUV thingy.

Point: With as many times as I've gotten a year's use out of < $500, and considering the abuse I used to put vehicles through, still getting ~25-30MPG in almost every vehicle I've owned, (barring several larger models), it still just wouldn't be worthwhile to buy a new vehicle, even if it was $4500 off.