View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 03:12 AM   #154 (permalink)
winkosmosis
Master EcoModder

Do you have a plastic/rubber splash guard? I didn't think there was one available for the XJ but apparently there is. Found out because I was searching for info on front hitches conflicting with skid plates

Front hitch or tow hooks question - [Archive] - ILOVEJEEPS.com Forums

Quote:
the splash guard will help to reduce the amount of spalsh into/onto the alternator (and other under hood, but the alt seems to benefit most) ... you can live fine without it, though you may notice:

slightly decreased high-speed cooling (less negative pressure behind the radiator and more of a propencity for the high-pressure area in front of the front diff to reduce air flow
more of the classic "mud/brush" conflict with the alternator (the alt hates to get wet or fouled with mud - it'll float a brush pretty easily - just carry some clear water to rinse-off the back )
Decreased heater output on really cold days (the flappy thing actually diverts really cold air off of the oil pan, running with and without it on one of my '87s made a huge difference in cab comfort when outside was below roughly 10*F)
Decreased water fording depth (again the pressure things - slow-speed fording depth will be reduced since you'll be less able to build and hold a good bow-wave

Really though -- all of those things are really minor, and about the only thing you may see is that your alternator will be a bit more prone to fouling and maybe a little drop in fuel economy (will a factory or other front skid plate fit on with that hitch mount? that'd clear all the stuff up.)