View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
My brain hurts!!! At least you didn't include math too!
Aww, that's the exact opposite of what I intended... I realize the article is a freaking book (sorry about that), but the content shouldn't be over any of your guys' heads.

I totally understand if it's too long to read, but I figured for those with a burning desire to learn the topic that it would be a useful resource. I wish the teachers I had took the time to explain things in detail rather than introduce vague concepts, give BS reasons why they occur, and move on. I had to learn that stuff through books, sitting in the library (and I hate reading, ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4MM3R
Let me see if I can sum it up.

That is why golf balls have dimples (turbulent Flow), they help them go farther. Smooth (Laminar flow) golf balls without dimples come up short.
You just explained what happens, the article aims to explain why it happens. I figure if people are willing to buy and read through all 1000 pages of hucho's vehicle aerodynamics that this would be a shortcut (longcut? ).

Oh, and as far as MetroMPG original question. There is a short, hard answer or a long, simple answer. Take your pick, but no need to ask god .

BTW, pics fixed.

- LostCause