View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
MazdaMatt
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Cosmetic "weed and feed" use has been banned in ontario. You can only get weed sprays that kill whatever they hit (roundup). I THINK that pesticides are also banned, but i may be crazy.

The totally unknown-to-the-public factor in lawn care is that fertilizers and pesticides kill all the stuff that would naturally help your lawn. So if you've been using it for years, your lawn is helpless without it. But, a simple organic re-vamp on your lawn kicks it back into shape.

I just moved into a house last october. Had I known better, i would have done a fall treatment. The previous owner used no chemicals and barely used a lawn mower, so it isn't poisoned, it is just heavily "bio-diversified" (thanks, Ben). Our front lawn has taken about 5 hours of labour to remove all but a few weeds and the back lawn that was totally fubarred with weeds and half brown-caked earth is starting to be more grassy without even pulling any weeds, just by cutting it long and spreading new seed every few weeks. The dead patches we've raked some compost over and are sprouting well. I've spent 13 dollars so far, plus about 1 liter of gas.

This fall I will give it the Corn Meal Gluten treatment and next summer I'll be enjoying a weed free yard with good bugs that like to eat the bad bugs. I could use an aeration, too.