View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
SVOboy
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
The bird thing is total malarkey. Everything kills birds, it seems. The guy wires of radio/TV antennae are murder on birds. Check out the base of such tower. You'll see lots of dead birds and some might fat cats.

Other people think they are just plain ugly. The engineer in me sees wind turbines as elegant, but then, I think hyperbolic cooling towers are elegant, too.

It is the same thing with any sort of energy. Somebody has a beef. Nuke plant, coal plants, oil refineries, even solar. Somebody squawks.

At some point (and soon) we, as a people have to make an overarching value judgment. Is (name your objection) more important than energy? At the rate our energy infrastructure is being overwhelmed we will be living in a technological level familiar to George Washington.

Either we smack down the PETA types and NIMBYs or we get used to living at the technological level of "The Last of the Mohicans" or "The Patriot."
The world I live in is not comprised of stark dichotomies where the only choice is to "smack someone down" or "the world ends."