Thread: what bike ?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
renault_megane_dci
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
what bike ?

Hello everyone,

I have not been posting for while 'cos I have been abroad then got my car broken (that is before I got a chnace to fill my scond tank after I joined this forum !) then getting hold of the new car (a little worse in fuel consumption despite 6th gear and VNT turbo ...).

Anyway, I will now get to work using a motorbike and am wondering wich to choose.

My current one :
Suzuki Freewind fitted with 10.3 CR piston, open exhaust and 14*43 instead of 15*43 sprocket.
It averages in the 45 mpg driving rather joyfully
But it does have a few issues in the quest for more mpg :
it displaces 0.65 liter
it has plenty of power, is short stroke, rev-happy ant the exhaust sound appeals to provocation from other riders (and who is provocating is to be corrected) => it doesn't help me to drive efficiently (mpg speaking)

Two options :
Honda VTE 500 (same as ascott)
+)
shaft drive (optimum maintenance), 6 speed, less displacement, V twin so can stand driving in higher gear at a given speed than a single, lower so better Cd potential
-)
shaft drive so no alteration of the gear ratio except from tyre height, outdated chassis, identical power potential at higher RPM (more friction)

Honda FT 500
+)
chain and sprocket so gear ratio tuneability, much less HP, lower than the freewind (CD potential), will not respond well to driving like a maniac
-)
8.6 compression ratio, no fairing ...

Regarding difference in gas cost (my car is diesel) and consumption, I will have to take the bike as low as 54 mpg to equate the price of the trip in my car

What do you reckon ?