View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #26 (permalink)
wotnartd
EcoModding Lurker

"Daredevil" SL1 - '02 Saturn SL1
90 day: 39.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I interviewed the inventor a while back. He described 3 main markets:
  • Traditional gearheads: Ron explains, "these are the guys who in the old days used to install extra gauges on the dash that gave more info than the idiot lights could." Typically "performance" (speed) oriented folks, these DIY types want to know everything the car is doing when it's being pushed hard.
  • RV owners: these people have a kind of mixed interest. The engines in their (typically heavy, un-aerodynamic) vehicles also tend to get pushed fairly hard, so the drivers want to keep an eye on critical info. At the same time they're also concerned about fuel economy and want to monitor that as well.
  • Fuel economy nuts: these are the MPG obsessed folks (you know who you are) who, prior to the ScanGauge, had to rely on infrequent fill-ups, or relatively crude vacuum gauges for feedback on driving technique or changes made to their vehicles.
From: Interview with Ron DeLong, inventor of the ScanGauge - MetroMPG.com

Though with the recent run in fuel prices, and free advertising the SG has had in the mainstream media, I think the fuel saving crowd is their biggest market now. Based on the fact they never had an order backlog before $4 gas.
I know this is some good ol necromancing, but man is the SG awesome! I've been using mine for about four months, and couldn't imagine not having it.

For me, the purchase was obvious, as a gearhead and as someone interested in stretching the tank a little bit. With one button I can see my mileage, water temp, intake temp, and (when I choose to be less eco) approx HP. Not to mention everything else. It's a great piece of tech, and everybody should get one, if not for the mileage, but for the awesomeness!