View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Living Throttleless

Michelle is now truly unique in the world of gasoline powered cars(as far as I know). She has no throttle.

The Del Sol now runs lean.

Something I hadn't considered until it started happening is runaway. Since there is not throttle the same "throttle position"(resistance setting) becomes much much more aggressive every little bit it climbs up through the RPMs.

I can't report any realistic mpg(as I haven't used enough fuel). I can't report anything really. Driving without a throttle and tricking the ECU is. . .a pain to live with lol. You have to constantly play the resistance back and forth to keep the car at the right speed until you hit the magic amount of power. Any higher and the engine starts rather rapidly accelerating(increased air flow from higher rpm creates much more fuel(both more air and gas)) or starts choking(the fewer rpms means less air which is less fuel(fuel proper and air)).

I suspect my first tank is going to be a very bad mpg avg. What from the rampant acceleration that got out of hand a few times and very narrow band range of pulse and gliding finding the right resistance.

The Del Sol(Michelle) is benched for the moment. I need a much larger pressurized contained for coolant and a much faster pump. On several occasions the coolant temps, EGTs, and block temps(measured through pilfered garage equipment ^_^) have started sky rocketing. This happens consistently when the engine is intaking large volumes of air( just over 2K RPM) and running substantially lean(I've marked off 16:1 and 35:1 and its somewhere between the two). So either I get rampant acceleration or rampant heat overload. . .

I think with a reworked cooling system a more extensive oil cooler for the engine(to get Oil temps maybe 50% lower) and activating my secondary water injector full time(and installing a 3rd for backup) I can get her to run "normally" on lean and maybe ultra lean(I haven't gotten very far past 16:1 as temps start to rise too quickly for me to monitor and drive).