View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #1887 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Joe's is basically done. The ghetto end caps are now on, but I need to glue them or something (maybe that squirt stuff they use in bathrooms or window sealants? Now I need to get a working program on that stupid chip. I haven't done any programming for a few weeks, and I need to get it working again, and I need to remember what the heck I was doing before. I think I'll just go with a really simple program, so I don't have to remove it from the car 100 times to reprogram it!!! Joe has an STK500, so I can work on it when it's in the mail or we can modify values of stuff, and he can reprogram it to see how things change. For now, I'm just going to get it basic and drivable. I don't have the serial communications plugged in. (it would take Joe 3 seconds to do that if he wants it) Also, I'm not using the relay to turn on the main contactor, because I have no control of the pre-charge resistor, so I don't want to close the contactor until I know everything has been pre-charged. We can add that feature later. No big deal.

There are an extra 2 bolt holes on each side for attaching the controller to some solid surface! ya... They are 1/4" holes. I hope that's OK.

If there are heating issues, there are a number of things that next versions could do to deal with that, but for now, Joe could just take off the end caps, and stick a fan on one end. As long as there is no major dirt flying through it to cause any sort of short circuit, it would be fine.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 07-03-2009 at 06:59 PM..