View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #290 (permalink)
john_bud
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post

The same thing happens when you hit the gas peddle on you car with respect to air. There is no magic device that allows the air in the intake manifold to suddenly jump from 5 psi to 14psi (MAP reading). As a result, the AFR dosent' perfectly track at 14.7:1. It wanders. Richens up when you punch the peddle, leans out when you suddenly let off. That's fairly normal, and the same would be acceptable in a hydrogen system.

Also: You could have a hydrogen system that could go from full production to nothing back to full in a milisecond if it was electronic. With ease my friend.

Uh...no. When I hit the gas peddle, there is a slight lag in the air motion, but it is VERY slight. In a carburated engine, the FUEL is the stuff that lags and quick stabs of the throttle result in lean misfire unless a quantity of fuel is squirted in. The engine is operating at a vacuum and there is a large force pushing the air into the cylinders from that vacuum. In a hydrogen generation system, the hydrogen has to be cracked from water. That takes time for the reaction to occur, time to heat the water to allow the reaction to be efficient, time for the partial pressure of the gas in the liquid to build, time for bubbles to form, time for the bubbles to raise to the surface and pop, time for the gas to traverse the distance from the generation system thru the tube to the manifold. That time is in seconds - whole seconds and typically in the 3-10 range depending on the system status. Just put a potentiometer on a system and go from 1 amp to 20 amps and see how long it takes.

The other side of that is also there. You can't instantly STOP hydrogen/oxygen generation. I for one don't want to slam on the brakes and have the engine still supplied with loads of combustible gas + oxygen! Because the quantity of dissolved gas in the reaction fluid would be huge if you had to reach 20%. Sure, a 5% target would be better, but still the issue remains. Naturally, no systems take that into account as they are not capable of generating enough gas.

Speaking of percentages... I thought I made it clear that my numbers were made "easy" to make the math simple. Even at 5% hydrogen a small 4 cylinder engine needs an astronomical volume of gas. While most may spend the majority of the time at 30% throttle, should we ignore the system's requirements for idle ? acceleration ? Higher rpms? I run less than 30% most of the time, but do run 100% on occasion and 50-70% frequently to go from stops or to merge on the freeway.

Your last point was that you can make hydrogen "in a millisecond" by using "electronics". I call BS on that and ask you to provide some factual proof. While I don't know everything, I do know that chemical reactions like this are not digital! And yes, I HAVE diddled around with electrolysis, chemical reactions and even electronics.

Still - I feel I am preaching to the choir as you already have epressed that you don't feel it is a real solution. But, maybe our discussion can keep others from getting scammed.

jb