View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #52 (permalink)
bombloader
EcoModding Lurker

The XT - '92 Yamaha XT225 Serow
Last 3: 80.67 mpg (US)

White Civic - '08 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 38.23 mpg (US)

Blue and White Beast - '78 Ford F150
90 day: 11.33 mpg (US)

Red T100 - '93 Toyota T100
90 day: 14.7 mpg (US)
I think I was little confused by Bicycle Bob's post. He was referring to Cp of the car in the yaw direction, I took it to mean in pitch which is the only way I heard it talked about in pilot training. Got it now So to make things clear, I was talking about what aircraft are designed to with the CP and CG in pitch for stability. Bicycle Bob, you were talking CP in yaw correct? Anyway, I still think I'm correct about the vertical fin though. Two reasons:
1) Directional stability(yaw) in a car comes from traction. Even race cars producing downforce are just trying to generate more traction. Therefore, CG in relation to wheel placement is probably more important than CG related to CP.
2) Observationally, I've noticed that the poorest handling cars in high winds are typically aerodynamically dirty ones like my Jeep. Cleaner vehicles seem to shrug of winds better.
Take my my nonexpert opinion for what its worth, it would seem strange if a well designed boattail actually decreased stability. If I had the problem, I'd probably question whether I actually achieved the drag reduction I aimed for.