View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lostyankee
Grease Car Named Desire

2003 Golf Vegie for trips

I commonly drive 10 miles to work so a conversion for that miles would take 10 years to pay back & many componants would be replaced by that time. I do not drive this car in the cold months of Wisconsin. But I also drive summer trips of: 8 * 400 miles + 4 * 1200 miles + 2 * 400 miles.
This modifacation (work in progress) is to run vegie for trip miles with very little modification to car.
Using a dedicated coolant loop around the oil filer & under the IP lines between IP & engine, raises fuel temp at the nozzles to 150*F at engine operating temp + 15 minutes.
Insulating the return fuel cooler (automatic trany car), insulating the lines, raised return fuel to the tank 40*F over air temp.
Goal is to warm up engine with almost dry fuel tank, fill tank with enough vegie oil (for 95% of trip one way) filtered to 1 micron absolute & dewatered, blended to V80 with kerosene (allows a fudge factor for weather & emergency starts), drive 95% of trip, add 1 gallon of diesel (purge & startup)& do the reverse on the way home.
In tests this should work to 55*F air temp with out any other modificatons & I believe 35*F is possible.
Vaccum reservoir & long injector return fuel line have been relocated to allow room for the IP heater (coolant line).
Planed improvement: using the heated seat circuit & it's dash munted reostat, tie in a switched heating ellement to heat the coolant loop in an emerency or raise the temp of vegie above coolant loop temp.
Also I plan on installing a duel main filter bypass so I can switch from a used (dirty) filter to a clean one if needed.
Issues so far is the 3 minute electric heating element warm up time on a cold engine and time it takes for the coolant loop to gravity flow enough to heat the IP lines. I will try increasing the ID of the 'hot' side of the coolant loop to 3/4" (other is 1/2" ID) and exposing the down leg to more air flow.
Reviews are welcome.