View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Beaver
Chronologically Gifted

Base Metro - '96 Geo Metro
90 day: 54.24 mpg (US)

Neon ACR - '98 Dodge Neon ACR

Banana Slug - '64 Volkswagen Bug

Spirit - '92 Toyota Class C Motorhome Winnebago Itasca
90 day: 17.26 mpg (US)
That picture you downloaded is EXACTLY what mine is, right down to the color and the graphics! An Itasca Spirit, by Winnebago. Tires are the first thing I went for. I pumped them up to the max sidewall pressure before I drove it 2 miles from the seller's home. I could immediately feel a difference in ride; they were pretty low (30 to 40 lbs). Rear wheel skirts sounds like a good easy mod; I could probably use plexiglass. On the belly pan, do you think that should be full length or just under the engine and cab? And would an air dam (which I plan to fabricate and install) reduce the benefits of a belly pan a lot? I am considering removing the roof A/C. It installs in a standard 14" by 14" hole, so it can easily be replaced by a standard crank-open vent. This will not only reduce the frontal area considerably, but it will also reduce the overall weight and lower the center of gravity (thus helping the handling). That's probably 75 pounds way up high, contributing greatly to body roll in corners. I also like the idea of solar panels, given all the surface area I have up on top. That would make an alternator cutout much more feasible, and like you said, it could keep the cabin battery topped off, so I could take it out of the charging circuit altogether, or at least switch it.
And I LOVE the idea of a 5-speed swap! Being a grease monkey at heart, it's just my kind of thing (but it will have to wait a while).
It does have the clutch fan, but it is plastic. Is there a lot to be gained by going to an electric fan over a plastic clutch fan? I'm sure if it was metal there would be. What do you think?
And PLEASE tell me about that MPGuino! It sounds like a gadget that I have to have!
I will probably try a partial grille block; it doesn't seem to have overheating problems. This weekend was the hottest one this year, and I only saw a slight rise in the factory gauge when climbing long grades. Good advice on the "real" gauges too. A tachometer and vacuum gauge are first on my list.
Thanks all, and is there anyone else out there trying for mo-home mileage?
Beaver

"Life is like a 10-speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use."
-- Linus