View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Shawn D.
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Shawn D: just curious, anything constructive to add?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
On this topic, in another thread Frank quoted a newspaper article about storing a vehicle:
"Constructive" doesn't only mean "positive response," you know. Saying something is a bad idea is constructive when it's a bad idea that folks should be steered away from. The linked article also says you should put a tarp under the vehicle when stored in a garage -- that particular piece of advice won't be harmful, but it's worthless. Bob Sikorsky's "Drive it Forever" column actually printed a reader tips about saving money that included salvaging plugs, filters, and even brake fluid from cars in a junk yard -- there's plenty of auto advice that's not fit to print or follow.

Given the corrosion on the other non-friction surfaces of the rotor (hub, outer edges) and knowing your location, rust seems inevitable. You probably wouldn't be interested in attempting cryogenic treatment, as that's $$. What I would suggest (and it's not something you asked about) is to apply a very thin (and I mean really thin) coat of anti-seize to the hub of the rotor where the wheel sits. That'll keep the wheel from sticking.