View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Shawn D.
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post
I think GPS is the most under utilized tool for improving fuel economy. when I plotted all my normal routes I discovered that most of the time I was not going the shortest way. If you drive 7 miles to work every day and can find a route of 6 miles that is about 14% in fuel savings.

If you go to several places use your GPS to plot the most efficient route and order. Not all GPSs do route-planning but a lot do. You can easily save 20 - 25%.
I'm sure you already know this, but "shortest" is not necessarily the most efficient. Here's just one example based on real-world conditions:

Marietta, GA to Lawrenceville, GA: The shortest route is I-75 to I-285 to I-85, at 37 miles. The I-75 to I-85 route is 6 miles longer but takes 30-45 minutes less time in rush hour because you are stuck in traffic only on the section outside I-285, not the whole section of I-285 between I-75 and I-85 plus the section outside I-285.

I also take a route to work in the morning that is five miles longer than my return route, but I use less fuel because I get out early enough to avoid traffic on the highways, whereas the lights on the return route are there 24 hours.