View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
I much prefer disc brakes. I have had enough drum brake problems that I converted all my a-bodies to rear disc using parts from the 84-88 6000 STE. I also converted both my trailers to custom disc setups I designed. Drum brakes trap water, salt, mud, everything and all the little springs and parts corrode, break, refuse to self adjust, etc.

My Celebrity sits all winter, my 6000 sits most of the summer, and I don't have disc problems like that. Even the 6000 snowplow wagon doesn't, and the brakes on that only get used when I plow my driveway in the winter. It sits 99.5% of the time. However all my pads are semi-metallic. It might be worth looking into if you don't already use them. My trailers have organic pads, but like you said eariler, they do brake much harder when they get used. Still, I have never seen corrosion like that even on those rotors.

When I do replace the rotors, I always just buy new. Around here it is $25 a piece to have them turned, new ones are less than that, plus my vehicle isn't out of commision while waiting for them to do it.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver