View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I haven't ridden it yet. Near as I can tell the bike weighs 95 lbs w/o battery pack (very awkward to use a digi bathroom scale for this...) so 147.5 lbs total.

Looks like maybe it isn't going to be a smooth plug-n-play operation. Batt pack decal SAYS 60v; it's been on the charger 24 hours and the red/green LED never went solid green, and it's only up to 35v, sooo.... might have a problem? Cracked open the battery box (52.5 lbs) and found (5) 6-DZM-12 batteries.

There are no glaring physical defects and the batt cables are very firmly attached so I'm not inclined to disturb them just yet to check the batteries individually (well OK. I did try to get one cable off and it didn't come easily so for once I decided to stop before breakage occurred ). Was just going to throw the charger on it longer but now think I may have already overcharged. The thing to do is simply put the pack on the bike and see what it does I guess.

It does have functioning pedals, although I'm sure this thing would be a total slug compared to pedalling a normal bike. It's way too small for this big galloot to get proper pedalling ergos- and there's the little matter of the extra 114 lbs vs my trusty old Fuji- but just sitting there passively riding should be just fine. My guess is the pedals are mainly useful as a range extender- use 'em to help on accel and up hills and the battery pack thanks you very much and rewards you with much longer range.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 07-08-2009 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: new info