View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #34 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
WD-40 mostly dries off with time as it contains a lot of solvent, so there wouldn't be much to wipe off after a long period of time.
Which is exactly why I suggested it.

WD-40 was not designed as a lubricant, at all... was designed as a water displacement formula. The oil in it dries into a thin film in a matter of less than a couple days, so if the car is being stored for more than a day, it's just not going to cause a problem...

That on top of the fact that when you get new rotors, they have oil all over them anyway... how many shops do you think actually use brake cleaner to get that stuff off? Sure, it's a liability if you wreck your car due to their negligence in not cleaning the light film of oil off the rotor before installing it, but the fact is, for many years, a large number of "mechanics" have been doing without this step... and there hasn't been any issues that have come to light about it, have there?

Shawn, do you have any anecdotes that suggest otherwise?

Schultz - It's obviously unsafe to lube your brakes... and many thanks to you for that story... actually was quite funny, although I can't figure out if the customer was joking when he asked for the application or not. I also can't figure out why in the world, if he had been joking, he wouldn't have noticed that the kid was doing something through his wheels to apply lubricant to his rotors and pads, but no matter... still a funny story.