View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
Shawn D.
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
That on top of the fact that when you get new rotors, they have oil all over them anyway... how many shops do you think actually use brake cleaner to get that stuff off? Sure, it's a liability if you wreck your car due to their negligence in not cleaning the light film of oil off the rotor before installing it, but the fact is, for many years, a large number of "mechanics" have been doing without this step... and there hasn't been any issues that have come to light about it, have there?

Shawn, do you have any anecdotes that suggest otherwise?
The local tire shop I worked in during college removed the shipping anticorrosion coatings, Pep Boys removed the anticorrosion coatings when I worked there after college, and I've always removed the anticorrosion coatings. All of the rotors I've bought lately were not coated with the oily stuff, though -- they were wrapped in anticorrosion paper which does not leave much behind (but which I cleaned off anyhow).

Anyhow, my anecdotes don't fit in with the zeitgeist here, which is "Don't question anything anybody says here, only provide 'attaboys' and cheerleeding" so why does it matter?

Last edited by Shawn D.; 07-08-2009 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: recalled paper being used now