View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Don't know what it is... But lets just look at "Fuel Vapor" - they quote it in their images, so perhaps it's more complicated than just vaporizing fuel...

1. CNG cars run on vapor... FE isn't astronomically high - it's on par with gasoline and fuel injection
2. Carbs technically produces fuel vapors...
3. FI produces atomized dropslets - according to those working as engineers in industry - almost all of this fuel is burned. There's no mythical fuel losses here (which is why we all don't have black exhaust gasses).

As members have proven here... Those mileage figures are most likely due to aero (for cruising) and low weight (for city driving).

Seriously, the VW 1L blows that mileage figure away. It's a 2 seater tandem, runs on diesel, doesn't have fancy fuel vapor crap....

Personally, I see more potential with higher compression and direct injection... Or dieseling with gasoline (I remember reading something about that not too long ago...)

I'm not saying the car isn't cool or anything... I'm just saying that I smell snakes.