View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
groar
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Sorry for late reply : far too much free time nowadays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istas View Post
What is the opacity test?
The only ecological test mandatory during all technical tests. It measures the opacity of emissions. The unit is in m^-1, so the smaller the better, but I never found the exact description of this test.

Quote:
Nifty idea with the battery and solar panel, too. Hope it brings you net savings.
I have to confess that I'm doing it for the high geek level of this mod which will permit me to say that I have a solar hybrid
The panel I have is only a 13W and as it's an amorphous panel it will quickly loose 20% of power and is very sensible to heat. If it can generate 40Wh/day it will be a lot and in winter it will be even worse. All this energy correspond to very few gas, even by considering the alternator efficiency is low.

The cost of the panel was rather low and I have a spare (old) car battery. Another reason is that I don't think the plug's fuse is strong enough for me to plug my computer : when I do wardriving it can last several hours but the computer battery can't. All year long I'll be able to use the battery to feed the (GPS) navigator and the rear view camera (I should be using as the internal mirror through the uglyback).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Looks to me like the rear wheel skirts give the biggest improvement.
This is also what my butt-o-meter told me last summer with my cardboard skirts and why I wanted to build coroplast skirts since. It also took me 2 weeks to get used to the new behavior of the car when I installed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
I keep imagining the perfect hill with the perfect slope with the super-long flat straight road at the bottom with NOBODY around for miles and miles and miles.
Since 2 years a road was being build to permit to avoid that several tens of thousand vehicles go through my city everyday. This road is opened since yesterday morning and it seams that several places have a constant slope. I'll try to verify that with my GPS receptor, but I'll have to go into holidays before
Even if this new road has a perfect shape, I'll certainly avoid it for my daily commute as it's too fast and the old road is now a desert.

Denis.

Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.