View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
groar
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
I have a lot of respect for all coast down testers (Darrin and all). After this experience I have even more respect. Before doing CDT with the uglyback, I'll try to find another road and a light-to-no traffic moment.
I wanted to talk about every people spending a lot of time to make studies, measures and data analysis, coast down and any other test.

As I said, it took me a lot of time :
  • 30 minutes to drive enough to heat the car. I drove 30 miles as the road I wanted to use was too hilly and I got the wrong road to go to the one I used.
  • 15 minutes for each test
  • between 5 and 20 minutes between tests : stop the GPS recording, change the configuration, take a few notes and restart the recording.
  • 20 minutes to drive home.
The total was 2h30. I would have liked to test the uglyback, but I need half an hour to tape it and I had only 2h available. Oops, I spent more time than I had It seams that in the precipitation I installed a skirt less tightly than the other one so I'll have to reinstall it. If I can do other tests soon then I'll make C & D test again before doing E (D + uglyback).

About the length of the road, I simply measured it by accelerating to 110km/h and coasting to 70km/h. I was happy as at 110km/h the aero effect is important so it should be able to show a smaller difference, while I'm mainly driving at 70-80 km/h. But during last tests the road was too short and I had to break before reaching the 70km/h.
From a quick calculation, the coast down used 1.3km (0.8mi) and the acceleration (from a stop) around 0.8km (0.5mi).

I used an USB GPS receiver plugged to a computer to record my coordinates (lat, lon & alt). The GPS receiver generates a coordinate every second and it timestamps each one at micro-second. With each coordinate is also indicated the speed and the heading.

Of course I can't have the exact time at which I was exactly at 110, 100...70 km/h, so for each speed during each coast I estimated the moment by (simple linear) interpolation of time and speed between the last entry over the speed and the first entry under the speed.

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.