View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #1954 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Thanks, Steve! 196 pages. Man, the biggest book I ever read was only 100 pages! haha!

Current controller kit cost: I'm not sure. We need a super official every piece list (even every super tiny screw) for version 2C. The problem was that I didn't really know what all the pieces would be until just doing it, since I sort of made up the process as I went along. I will look at Ben's essentially completely finished controller, and write down everything I see before mailing it off.

I'm going to try to drive with it today. I tested the control section with the controller fully assembled, and it works great on the oscilloscope.

FEATURES:
High pedal lockout (hehe. too easy, I can't believe companies advertise this as a feature!)

Serial communications interface (RS-232). You can program it to tell you motor amps, battery amps, or anything else that the chip knows about.

Undervoltage lockout: It shuts off the mosfet driver if the 12v input voltage is too low.

Optical isolation between control section and mosfet driver/power section.

Thermal cutback happens in 8 stages. When the heat spreader reaches 75 degC the current limit gets cut by 1/8, then 2/8, 3/8, ..., 7/8, and finally current limit becomes zero if max temperature is reached.

Hardware overcurrent shutdown: If the current shoots over a specified point chosen by the user (in the range 484 amps to 765 amps. At this point, it's only safe to set it in the range 465amps to about 550 amps I think.

current monitoring.

reverse polarity protection on 12v input.

overvoltage protection on 12v input.

I can't think of anything else right now.