View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 05:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
HannuS
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Piwoslaw

Yes there is few DC motor driven Mercedes around. Also so called eCorolla project is started in southern part of Finland. Climate is cold in winter. In my memory -39 Celsius (-38.2 F) is the lowest I have seen. I have to prefer water cooled batteries and motor/controller because that way I can use liquid cooling fluid also for maintain battery temperature at reasonable level. For that purpose there is wide range of water heaters obtainable working with AC or with diesel fuel. Those are needed if I have to go to place where is no electricity. For example to my forest cutting hobby area which is for my body exercise purposes. (other corner of my eco-oriented life)

Interior heater is also one which needs few kilowatts heater in winter time. Other solution is to wear enough clothes.

Salted roads in winter time are also serious local problem which leads me to find most rusty-tolerant chassis. One candidate is Peugeot 406 STW from year 1996 to 2000. Aluminum chassis Audi's is one of course but it is out of my budget at the moment.