View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

Excellent idea and bike to use, esp. the engine and handling. I've considered such as a replacement for my BMW bikes due to better weigh and handling from the Suzuki.

For starters, use flat-wrap Coroplast sheet, bent into airfoil leading edge shape, with vertical alignment. For exit vents for the radiator study fish gills, and exhaust the spent cooling air out the sides. Bernoulli/Venturi will draw the air through the rad. and out. A simple flapper valve could be used in winter to vent the radiator air onto your legs, but out the sides during summer. The radiator on that bike, btw, could be turned 90 degrees so its long axis is vertical, for reduced frontal area.

The front wheel could stand improvement in the fender. Some of the companies that make aftermarket stuff for Bonneville racers may have a bolt-on replacement fender that is suitable. However, too much coverage will get you squirelly handling in crosswinds, so don't get too carried away with the front wheel fairing.

For bottom and top caps for the airfoil, consider free-blown vacuum forming techniques, as seen on YouTube.

Keep in mind that punching a clean hole in the air is only half the battle--you need a smooth and proper trailing edge fairing behind the rider and machine so the airflow can recover with reduced turbulence.

My son has an unfaired Suzuki SV650, and it gets 50+ mpg @ 70+ mph. With a good full fairing, I suppose mileage would improve by ~50% at that speed.

Got pics of your bike?