View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Demian
EcoModding Lurker

Battery Management Systems

With all these open source projects... It seems the only two things we are missing are batteries and battery management... I'm not capable of initiating a conversation about planning open source DIY batteries, but I do believe that a BMS is important.

I am no expert on this subject, and much of what I think I know may be wrong. Please don't hesitate to interject and/or correct.

The three types of BMS I know of are:

1) Passive and isolated, like a zener lamp. At a certain Voltage current is shunted to a resistor (a bulb in the example i read). Limits overcharging.

2) Passive but interactive. I can't remember the example of this very well, but it sat in between batteries and shunted current between the two batteries until they are equal in voltage. IIRC it was a passive device, not actively moving current.

3) Active. like Lee Hart's (BalancerLand - Intro) I see a couple ways of doing this.

a) have a microprocessor watch voltage (and temp) of each battery and move current from the highest to the lowest etc.
b) have a microprocessor watch voltage (and temp) of each battery as it charges and remove batteries from the string as they reach a defined voltage for that charging phase
i) this would require a very smart charger or that the BMS work hand in hand with the charger. (you do have to reduce voltage when you remove a battery right? you can't charge a 24volt pack with 120 volts?)
ii) technically this isn't BMS, but if you are charging a pack every night and every night it is equalized, it's darn close to BMS (until a battery goes bad).

What I want out of a BMS:

Effective
inexpensive
average joe can build it

I would love for it to actively display individual voltage readings to a backlit dashmounted lcd, but I wouldn't pay an extra $100 for it.