View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Hello -

Update on my emissions. I passed, but my NOx is really high, so I am . I kept the WAI for this new test because I wanted to make the comparison test otherwise equal between 2007 and 2009.

I figured out that the 25 MPH test was done in different gears. The 2007 test was done in 3rd gear, but the 2009 test was done in 2nd gear. I made a spreadsheet that "cross-derived" the NOx emissions for a better comparison :

Essentially, my NOx jumped 400% from two years and 39K miles ago. Based on the above trend, I can tell that my (25 MPH) NOx will be non-compliant within the next 6 months.

My HC PPM is also way up, but I think that if I solve my NOx, I will solve my HC.

My one year goal will be N-fold :

1 - Get the car tuned up. It's mostly just been regular maintenance and as-needed repairs (radiator and water pump). I do have a P0410 error code (secondary air injection pump), but I think that plays only a small (engine warm-up) part of emissions.

2 - Do an oil analysis (pending).

3 - Retest with and without the WAI. I talked to the smog dude and I can pay him to do a non-DMV smog test.

4 - Maybe do an Auto-Rx style treatment. I have some stuff called XcelPlus "Engine Protection" and "Upper Cylinder Treatment". It's been sitting in my garage for a few years. If I can verify that it's chemically stable, I will probably try it out.

5 - Maybe get a new set of spark plug wires. I am positive that I have my original wires. I want either OEM or Magnecor.

I'm hoping I'm not approaching an engine rebuild. I don't think I can't justify keeping my SW2 if I have to do a rebuild, but the emotional part of me wants to "find a way".

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society