View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #219 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Oil change update...

I had my oil and filter change this morning at my Toyota dealer. Overall, I have to say I'm pleased with the service and the attention I was given with my specific instructions for the car. Total cost was $42.

Pros:
* At reception the girl asked me if I was there for my "5k Service" and I told her no I was there for an oil and filter change. 5k service includes about $60 of work that is not necessary including a tire rotation which I prefer to do at 10k. The girl didn't give me a hard time and we just scheduled the oil and filter change.
* I gave her specific instructions for my Prius including to leave the tire psi where it is, don't start and stop the ICE more than necessary, don't idle the ICE, etc. I went in with 63.4 on my MFD and left with 63.3 (can't complain about that). Also, my tire pressure was the same when I checked it after.
* I told her I wanted talk to the tech about the oil level so they didn't overfill it. When I told him that 3.9 quarts is the max level for the oil he was very knowledgable and told me that they fill 3.6 quarts which is 100% accurate as quoted in the user manual. Also, after the service today he came out and showed me the dipstick was just below the full dimple.
* Free Exterior Car wash was unexpected but a nice touch and a free drink at the snack bar was included too.

Cons:
* When I parked the car in the service bay I left the key in the ignition and the car running. Before I told the girl to not stop and start the car she had already turned the car off. Not a huge deal but an extra start the car didn't need to get it into the location for the oil change. Also, when they pulled that car out of the bay they powered it down again. So, 2 unnecessary starts...but not the end of the world.

Road trip update:
I had about 150 miles of highway driving scheduled yesterday. I went into the drive with 63.9 mpg on my MFD and came out of it at 63.2 mpg. Over the 150 total miles I was able to get 59.2 mpg which is an improvement over the 58 mpg I saw on my last highway trip.

I'm sitting at 63.4 mpg with 375 miles driven right now. Have 5 pips left on my guage and driving towards my all-time record of 63.2 mpg.