View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Rural hell. I stick with dirt roads pretty well when I know they're shorter than the main highways.

Most of my driving is on semi-city roads, some with untimed lights, others with pressure sensor lights, which suck if you're the first person to them.

I manage to drive without using my brakes for the most part, unless I have to come to a complete stop, and I drive an automatic most days. Hell, even towing my wife's new car home, I still managed to not use my brakes all that much, but I was being extremely cautious about speed to begin with, given the relative lack of safety involved with using my dad's truck to tow a nearly 5000# load which didn't have it's own braking system.

The brakes on the van squeak unless you really press on them, so I don't like using them anyway. I slow down by downshifting the automatic transmission. I can't verify my DWL skills, since I don't have a vacuum gauge or other instrumentation, but I always drive with as little pressure on the throttle as I can use to stay at the speed I want. I don't vary my speed except on uphill/downhill stints.

Pulse and glide hasn't worked for me, mostly because I don't have the proper instrumentation to identify my "sweet" spot, I presume.