View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 02:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
JacobAziza -

I drive a mix too, but maybe 80% of my miles are commuting to/from work, and 75% of those are freeway. My normal trek is 7 miles of city streets that I use to warm up the engine and do "on the way to work" errands. The last 27 miles are freeway that I try to hit off-peak. Here's the freeway portion of my to-work commute :

Trip log for: 1999 Saturn SW2, Trip: home to work

I have strategic locations on my route where I can EOC and/or P&G, depending on traffic conditions, but they aren't many. They're usually long stretches of right lanes without merging traffic.

I use the 710 freeway for 5 miles, which is a major truck freeway. Very bumpy but the traffic is mostly tame, so I like it.

On the streets to/from work, I drive "parallel" to main arteries. I've learned that in a lot of cases, even with non-optimum light timing, I can manage better MPG because I can drive "my way" without worrying about bottlenecks.

I stay away from one-lane roads where possible. If I do use a one-lane road, I will drive the speed limit if I am being followed.

The traffic dictates my behavior. Sometimes I just can't win.

If I'm not mistaken, it sounds like you're work trips are usually different, so you can't "optimize" your route.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society