View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Most of mine falls into one category (Rural roads / highways (undivided)) even though there is a world of difference.

Halfway to work is 13 miles constantly up and down many steep hills and beat up roads and a few stops. The other 12 mile half (ok almost) is fairly straight, level, no stops, and the expansion joints are fixed at least till winter hits. Usually a ton of traffic during work hours, many times when trying to get on the highway there is a solid line of cars as far as I can see so I just shut the car right off for awhile.

Going downstate is about 70 miles straight down a mostly decent highway with 3 potential traffic lights, and sometimes I take the divided freeway the rest of the way, other than that it is 60 miles of beat up and very hilly side roads. Depending where I have to go, it is decent condition 2-lane rural roads for 20 miles, or sometimes an additional 30 miles of mostly decent 2-lane roads and one dirt track that is barely 2 lanes. Going south I try to go faster because the swarm of tourists are speed demons and I don't want to get rearended. I always get my best mileage coming home on a Sunday night, because all the tourists are headed the other way south, and there are very few other vehicles on the road to deal with and the stoplights have turned to flashing yellow.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver