View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43571 View Post
I was referring to the KIWI MPG. The inaccuracy was not due to my foot adjusting on the pedal. I have set the cruise on the highway and at no time did it read over 27mpg (even down hill). When I got off the highway, I filled up and did the math, 41mpg average for the fill up. Either I75 through Ohio is horrible on gas mileage or the gauge is inaccurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...I just installed an AutoMeter 9100 ecometer (MPG gauge) in my '09 Vibe and encountered similar results: (a) only the MPG-average display is usable; (b) the three other displays (MPG-instantaneous, MPH and RPM) never seem to settle-down on a single number, even at constant freeway speed with cruise control engaged...you'd expect the MPH and RPM numbers to be stable under these conditions.
Digital meters do this. Unlike analog gauges there's nothing dampening the reading, so it changes as fast as it recalculates. The factory gauge in my father's Bravada will move around on the instant setting at a steady speed/level ground as well.

It was also my assumption that these gauges had to be calibrated to the specific vehicle.