View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Christ -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
...[stuff that makes sense to me]...

You might consider watching your temps, O2 output, and injector pulsewidth with something that you can download a timed map of them, and compare the signals, looking for spikes in each, and how the signals correspond with one another. You just might find where your "sweet spot" for temperature is, then you can make a CAI/HAI hybrid that will allow you to maintain a given temp more accurately, keeping you on the threshold, but not "in the house", so to speak.
I have a real-time digital AFR, so I can see the 02 sensor in action (but no data logging). Once it's warmed up, it almost never goes richer than 14.5 at any time. If anything, I see the ECU/PCM trying to "cheat lean". I often see it go into the mid 15s before popping back to 14.7 +-0.2 oscillation. I use the SG to monitor coolant and IAT, but I can't see injector pulsewidth. I don't know how to interpret the ignition timing parameter (IGN).

I think I understand what ConnClark is getting at, but I am trying to make the distinction that I am not driving normally. I am attempting to drive like an Ecomodder/Hypermiler, keeping the load on my engine as low as possible. This is why I think closed-loop operation dominates my driving. I think the only time I put the car under heavy load is when I accelerate to merge onto the freeway, or under emergency avoidance. There is only one other "high load" condition where I drive up a 4% grade the last mile to my house. I almost always run the electric fan (I have a manual override on/off switch).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society