Thread: Ben's Elec-Trak
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonR View Post
Sharp blades are better for the grass. They cut instead of tear the grass. More water is lost through the leaves when the grass tears.
Rotary mowers have a tendency to slightly tear the grass anyway. Do your lawn a favor & sharpen the blades.

You could get a gang reel & get rid of the mower deck altogether.

Don
I have a reel-type mower. I don't sharpen that one either.

I don't water my grass, either. I could care less what my lawn looks like, honestly. I'd rather not have one. Watering the grass at my dad's house would only serve to make the swap directly adjacent to his property a little wetter, and most of his grass is about as green as it's going to get. Ever.

Even when I lived in suburbia, I never watered my lawn. I never understood why people put so much "care" into one weed, while attempting to kill all the other ones. (Grass is in fact a weed, according to every horticologist I've ever talked to.) I would only mow the lawn (with the lawn tractor) when the tips of the grass started changing colors and getting hard. That's the signal that your "grass" is turning into a "weed".

Losing water from any of my lawns hasn't ever been an issue for me... I don't waste the stuff on them.