View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
naturalextraction
naturalextraction

Hello ditchoto.. I would suggest forming your fairings first on a model. It really doesn't take that much time. A few supplies from your local hobby shop will do the trick. I'm developing one for my Bonneville bike and it started with a scale model like the one posted. I have a pix of the final model that I can't get off my camera at the moment. I don't know how familiar with aerodynamic principles you are but here are just a couple to keep in mind in your design ie: basic air drag, lift, basic directional stability and dynamic directional stability. The more important basis for the model is to have something small enough to scale in order to do some DIY wind tunnel testing. You can use string or smoke depending on how large your model is.
I too drive an SV650s. Great bike and is my daily driver. I used lexan pieces to form some extra faring on my SV for the winter that cuts down on some forward drag and of course keeps me a bit warmer. Living here I drive all year round even though I've driven in 15 degrees, temperatures arn't typically that low. The lexan is fairly easy to form with simple bending and fastening. Heating to form is a bit more difficult, but simple mods can be done with an oven. Google lexan and you'll get a bunch of usefull information. Fastening and supporting is critical.
BTW, I changed the rear sprocket to 43 teeth which made a much more flexible gearing range. Still decent for 1st and 2nd and I can cruise 75 at 5,100 on a straight road. I like to keep the rpms under 6500 at cruise. With an adjustable air box change I can lean out stock jetting for my higher elevation and get 48 to 52 mpg. When I drive in town and use costing and turn the bike off at lights my usual average best is around 52 to 54mpg. I don't baby it much also. Obviously better fairing will increase mpg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	for ecomodder.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	3855  

Last edited by naturalextraction; 07-16-2009 at 12:17 AM..