View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
beatr911
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Sport motorcycles have been using the dual injectors for some time. I think this was to achieve better driveability at lower speeds and maintain the awesome top-end power they now make. A single injector is used under say 6000 rpm and above that the second is added.

Our 2002 Honda Odyssey has air-assist injectors from the factory. I can only imagine that other Honda products have this same injector technology. It is interesting to note that the air assist is only used during warm-up, presumably to reduce emissions. I've been wondering what would happen if I rigged the air assist to work 100% of the time. I'm guessing Honda has already tried that with no improvement.

Still a 4% incremental improvement from improved injector design is nothing to sneeze at. Smokey Yunicks vapor engine makes one think and Naturalextraction that visits here is doing some interesting work in fuel phase change. Intuitively, if all the fuel injected were in a truly burnable state, meaning completely mixed with air in a stochiometric ratio, catalytic converters would not be dealing with reducing HC, it would be entirely spent during combustion. Seems there is still room for improvement.

tjts1, nice photo. Some of those injectors don't look so effective. It would be interesting to know what improved injectors are available for older vehicles, like the BMW example that was mentioned. You know, like a plug and play upgrade guide for us with the old pintle style.