View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Isn't that a reason why P&G works?
P&G works especially well in traffic. <GRINS>

After all, no one would exceed a posted speed limit so the urban P&G wizard pulses to the speed limit, 30 mph, and then 'coasts' or 'glides' down to some lower value ... to the great delight of the other drivers. Then they pulse again to the 30 mph speed limit and again 'coasts' or 'glides' or 'feathers' or whatever down to their preferred lower speed. Again, to the great delight and enjoyment of the other traffic. But in no case is the P&G driver achieving an average speed of 30 mph because the glide is always under 30 mph.

So what are the pulse and glide parameters to sustain 30 mph?
  • 10 mph dV - 35 mph to 25 mph
  • 20 mph dV - 40 mph to 21-22(*) mph
In the first case, the driver has to be on a 35 mph street to average 30 mph (see title of thread.) In the second case, the driver has to be on a 40 mph street to average 30 mph. ... Have I missed something?

Surely no one is advocating exceeding the speed limit since that would risk getting a ticket. But driving at an average speed of 30 mph on roads posted at 35 and 40 mph is the great delight of other drivers who will announce their joy with horn salutes and raised fingers. <GRINS>

In all seriousness, the hybrid traction battery is another way of storing energy that does not depend upon the vehicle velocity. Unlike changing the velocity with other traffic around, the hybrid battery is an 'electronic' system that allows the vehicle to work like all of the cars surrounding it and not pose a very real collision risk or traffic obstruction.

Bob Wilson

* - due to non-linear drag effects, primarily aerodynamic, the lower glide limit has to be raised to compensate for the higher speed pulse.

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-17-2009 at 03:21 PM..