View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
NiHaoMike
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
Stoichometry being what it is, going leaner than the stoich. ratio for your fuel can have no positive effect on efficiency.

I've read that in practice, going from 14:1 to 15:1 has the effect on predetonation of going down 2 octane points, going to 16:1 increases likelyhood of predetonation by 2 more - as an example 87 octane gas would behave like 83 octane gas at a 16.7:1 AFR - which of course would cause your engine computer in a modern car to retard timing significantly and as such reduce power output and efficiency. Not to mention the engine damage likely from increased combustion temperatures at lean ratios.

Unfortunately now that I actually have reason to back up my statements I'm unable to find the publications I had learned this from. Well, like anything else do your own research and do what makes sense to you AFTER doing your own research (and not before, because most people are retarded - myself included - and just going on "common knowledge" alone never got anyone anywhere)
What if you lean out the mixture and then use water injection? I have never heard of an engine that runs rich to be efficient. There are lean burn engines that are more efficient.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...