View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 03:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Frank -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post

I've found that "1st gear" on the electric controller is pretty much as fast as I need/want to go around here. Staying in 1st has gotta extend the range vs. using the higher "gears" (remember, the motor is in the hub so no real gears). When I come to a rise and if I'm going slow enough, I'll pedal to help out- more hypermiling. But it's a fixie and the pedalling gear is pretty low. I need to look and see if a larger chainwheel can be fitted, or maybe even a sprocket cluster and derailleur, because I would like to "help out" with the pedalling more than it allows me to now.

I've used it for grocery shopping several times. The basket and racks are nice for that. Very handy!

I've decided it wouldn't be wise to use it's bits to electrify my ATB. That would ruin the value of it. Better to get other motor/batts for that project.

cf: Wasn't me that went to any EV meeting...
Ha ha, "virtual gearing" ala digital zoom on cameras. I will keep that in mind. We are "E-Bike" distance to a grocery store, so that would be a plus. The EV meeting was old memory for me, so I "congealed" as your experience (stupid brain!).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society